Fighting intensified in Khartoum with the end of the truce

The Sudanese army announced, on the night of Wednesday to Thursday, the resumption of its operations against the Rapid Support Forces in Khartoum, while violent clashes took place between the two parties to the conflict in Omdurman.

Witnesses said that violent clashes broke out in several areas of the Sudanese capital, on Wednesday, between the two parties after truce ends 72-hour period and there were several reports of it being violated.

Shortly before the truce ended at 6 a.m. Wednesday (0400 GMT), fighting was reported in the three cities in the wider capital region on both banks of the River Nile, Khartoum, Bahri and Omdurman.

The conflict between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces has been going on for more than two months, resulting in destruction in the capital, widespread violence in the western Darfur region and the flight of more than 2.5 million people from their homes.

Local and foreign observers described the attacks by militias linked to the Rapid Support Forces in the city of El Geneina in western Sudan as ethnic cleansing.

Witnesses said that army planes carried out strikes in the city of Bahri, and the Rapid Support Forces responded with anti-aircraft fire. Smoke could be seen rising from the industrial area.

They also said that Omdurman witnessed artillery fire and violent clashes, as well as clashes on the ground in southern Khartoum.

Witnesses reported that the RSF also attacked a separate army camp in another part of the city on Wednesday.

A local activist said that the army clashed with the Rapid Support Forces in the central and northern neighborhoods of Nyala, one of the largest cities in Sudan and the capital of the southern state.
Darfur, for the second day after a period of calm.

The ceasefire was the latest in several truces brokered through talks brokered by Saudi Arabia and the United States in Jeddah.


As during previous ceasefires, there were reports of violations on both sides.

Late on Tuesday evening, the two sides exchanged accusations regarding the outbreak of a major fire at the intelligence headquarters, which is located in a defense complex in central Khartoum, around which battles have taken place since the outbreak of fighting on April 15.

Saudi Arabia and the United States said that if the parties to the conflict did not respect the ceasefire, the two mediators would consider postponing the Jeddah talks.

The conflict in Sudan erupted amid disagreements over internationally backed plans to end military rule, four years after the overthrow of President Omar al-Bashir in a popular uprising.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button